Friday 8 June 2007

The Mosaic Bench

It's Done! Yesterday in mosaic class at the Hampstead School of Art I finished a project! It is always a great feeling to finish a piece! The best part to me is the last part - the grouting process. You really get your hands dirty when you grout a project. I guess I always liked playing in mud as a child! With Norma's help I grouted the Frank Lloyd Wright piece I have been working on since the beginning of the year. It turned out all right. I am pleased. It is not perfect but then none of my work ever is. As Loretta tells me the artist is always hyper-critical of their own work. I often see the imperfections first. I need to work on that! The piece was based on a window by FLW from the Avery Coonley Playhouse (Riverside, IL) done in 1912. The bench now lives in the guestroom under a framed poster from the Chicago Institute of Art which shows the original window.

No comments: