Wednesday 6 June 2007

The Lure of the Underground


Jeff and I had a rare privilege on Tuesday thanks to Mark L and his generous donation to the ASL Auction this year. Ray O was our wonderful and generous host for a glimpse into the working of the London underground.The visit started at Baker Street station where we rode with the train driver. The driver was a former foundry worker here in London and was responsible for re-casting the 1976 Liberty Bell in Philadelphia as he proudly told us! We then headed on to a private tour of the center for the Jubilee line trains. Not only were we able to see the command center where we watched a huge board showing the Jubilee line (and things were remarkably quiet and calm!) we got to play in the train simulators. The best part of the day was when Jeff and I both had a go driving a train in the simulator. Ray added some fun effects like snow, fog, trees and a workman on the line! Jeff ran them all over and I completely forgot to stop at one station! What an exhilarating day! I felt like I had made a real connection to the inner workings of the city I live in and have come to have a whole new appreciation of the underground.

No comments: