Tuesday 5 June 2007

Indian Cooking Class

On Monday, Kelle, Loretta, Kathy, Polli and I attended a cooking class at the home of Priya S. Priya, an ASL parent of two had donated the cooking lesson to the school auction this year. AS Kathy had worked on the auction catalog we had done a bit of pre-auction shopping and knew we wanted to bid on this class. On auction day it was a bidding war! As you can see, we won! I had always wanted to learn more about the spices used in this cuisine and Kathy had inherited a cupboard full of unfamiliar spices from Karul L. What a wonderful afternoon we had learning about spices and Indian cooking methods. Priya was helped in the kitchen by Keya we learned how to make Dal, Pakora, Sheek Kebab, Gobi Masala, Tandoori Mugrh (chicken), Murgh Malai and a Methai (desert) called Kheer (rice pudding!). Kathy and I even tried our hand at making the lamb Sheek. After all these dishes were prepared we sat down for a lovely lunch and Priya shared a bit more about styles of Indian cooking and Indian culture. The dal and Gobi Masal (cauliflower) dishes were my favourites! The rice pudding was wonderful and I was surprised to learn it was made with a bay leaf and cardamon! I think Priya should open a cooking school! Indian cooking is terrific and I now feel confident enough to try some of these dishes at home. I am thinking of making some dal for the party on Sunday!

No comments: