Wednesday 26 September 2007

Minnie Ears and Fast Cars

Casting about for something to do on Saturday, Jeff and I went to the Magic Kingdom. Yes, you heard me right, the Magic Kingdom. I swore I would never return to another Disney property. We were unable to go to Key West for the weekend and went to Epcot instead. I am not sure how we arrived at this decision but off we went!

After paying an outrageous charge to get in Epcot, we were very hungry. We headed to the World Showcase pavilion of Germany. Yes, it was just like being in Germany (sic!). It was bratwurst and sauerkraut for us! Epcot was surprisingly empty for a Saturday but it was September after all. The kids had gone back to school and the place was practically deserted. Lucky for us!

Our first stop was the Test Track. What a better ride for a F1 fan? The ride was closed for some reason so we opted for a Fastpass timed ticket for later and headed onto to other things. This fastpass thing is good I guess, You insert your park ticket into a machine and it gives you a return time so you don’t have to wait on the longer lines with the people who didn’t get a fastpass ticket!

We then visited the Universe of Energy. We took a ride with Ellen DeGeneres and went back into the dinosaur era to you guessed it, talk about Energy. It was very well done. We particularly enjoyed the robot copy of Ellen fighting with a dinosaur.

We checked back at the Test Track to find it operating again and got on the queue. Ok, I am not your average roller coaster fan but this was fun. We got in little cars and took a ride that simulated a car being tested. Cute. The last part was a car fan’s heaven, going very fast around a twisted track. Your picture is taken at the end as you sit there looking tired and disheveled. We went back later with our fastpass to do it again.

Our next adventure was Mission: Space. A mission to Mars. It was pretty silly; we opted for the milder version as it was the shorter line! We were jolted around through lift off, a meteor belt and a crash landing. Yipee! Jeff got to play the pilot and had to push some button. I missed my cue as the navigator all together.

We then shopped because you are required and compelled before you leave the park to buy something. I bought a cute head piece of Minnie ears. You will see me on Halloween wearing this.

Our last attraction would be the Seas with Nemo and Friends. I think this was my favourite attraction of the day. The ride itself was pretty lame on seashell clamobiles but the aquariums were really cool. At the end of the ride you walked around two story aquariums. There was actually a group diving in the tanks while we watched.

By this time we had spent about 7 hours in the park and it was time to get out. I had had enough of little kids. I had forgotten what it was like to be around them. There were some really cute little girls walking around in princess costumes though. Enough was enough though. We took a little ride on the monorail and headed out and back to Venice. I think it will be quite a while before we do that again!

No comments: