Monday 20 August 2007

Bush Chickens and watching other birds

Jeff and I saw alot of birds of this trip. I wont bore you with them all but just show you a few of my favourite pictures. We are not birders but you couldn't help notice the wide variety and colours of the wildlife.
The Lilac Breasted Roller.
This lovely bird is my favourite creature of the trip. It is most definitely my favourite picture of the adventure. Jeff took this snap with the new Nikon digital camera. I just loved the colours of this small bird. If you are going to be a bird, why not look fabulous?

Secretary Bird.
Since I am a big fan of the movie Bedknobs and Broomsticks (incidentally is which is how I became a Tottenham Hotspur supporter) I was excited to see this bird. It looked like it needed a briefcase as it strutted so businesslike across the Seronera plains.

Marabou Cranes
These would be the first creatures we would see when we arrived in Africa. In Nairobi they were scavenging along the roadsides in the middle of the city. They are the largest of the flying birds and about 3 feet tall. In the bush they were competing with the vultures for carcass!

Crested Guineafowl
They are everywhere scurrying along the roadsides getting out of the way of trucks. Didas fondly referred to them as 'bush chickens'. I wonder what they taste like grilled?
African White Backed vulture
Vultures were a very common sight in the bush. These dark, dirty and ugly birds gave me the creeps.
Tawny eagle.
They are common in the bush, nice to see one but I think not as majestic looking as the good old American Eagle.

A Grey- Crowned Stork.
These lovely birds have golden halos. So very elegant. They are the national bird of Uganda (in case you wanted to know....). They mate for life or until one dies..............

Sacred Ibis
The Ibis were worshipped by ancient Egyptians who associated the birds migration with the arrival of life saving floods along the Nile.

The Long Tailed Starling
A blue iridescent and really pretty bird. A group of starlings joined our picnic in the Seronera and were quite fearless and bold in stealing food. I thought the Hamerkop was really cute and loved the mohawk look!


No comments: