Thursday 12 April 2007

Yuri's Night

This evening is Yuri’s Night. Yuri Gagarin, a Russian, was the first human to go into space on April 12th, 1961. I wish I had known earlier and would have made plans to party! Yuri’s Night is a celebration of man’s (& women’s) exploration of space. Why not have a party? What an awesome achievement. Think of what we have done in the last 50 years! The contributions science has made to our daily life! I think we should raise a shot of Vodka (or two)and eat freeze dried food! I wonder what the official drink of space nerds is? Please don’t say Tang! Do you have the same mental image of nerds trying to party? Scary, huh? The Yuri Night website has an I tune Mix for such a party. I have never heard of half the songs. True Mathematics by Ladytron?

Surprisingly, I couldn’t find a London party but the Dumfries Astronomy Society seems to be hosting the only party in England. Too far too go for a drink! I think next year we will have to host our own party! The Yuri’s night website quoted the night “… is like the St Patrick’s Day or Cinco de Mayo for space”. I don’t know about that but Yuri's Night should send a strong message to the world that we need to get back out there to infinity and beyond!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could drink vodka and eat smoked fish and dance.

WooHoo Sister said...

i like the dancing bit but not the fish part!