Wednesday 25 April 2007

Red Hat Day!

Today is the official Red Hat Society day. I have come to love this day since I am already two years into membership. The Red Hat Society is a social organization for women over 50. The Society takes its name from the opening lines of the poem Warning by Jenny Joseph, which starts:

“When I am an old woman I shall wear purple

With a red hat that doesn’t go and doesn’t suit me.”

I first heard this poem at the funeral of a woman I knew from the UU church in Buffalo and was immediately enchanted by it! The Red Hat Society’s aim is social interaction, to encourage fun, silliness, creativity, and friendship in middle age. There is no work to be done, there are no initiations or fundraising projects. Great idea, huh? Members are called "Red Hatters". Members over fifty years old wear red hats and purple attire to all functions. A woman under age fifty may also become a member, but she wears a pink hat and lavender attire to the Society's events until reaching her fiftieth birthday. Today is Bunco at Peggy’s I will be wearing a purple shirt and red baseball cap. Look for me – I will be the one laughing!

No comments: