Thursday 15 March 2007

The Swan at Tetsworth

Yesterday, Kellee, Hollie and I drove out to the Swan at Tetsworth (near Thame in Oxfordshire) to have lunch and do a little antiquing. It was a beautiful sunny day. The type of day where you just keep saying it is a beautiful day! Too bad we spent alot of it going room to room looking for treasures! I think we must have looked in every room (about 40 in total)! Each room had some treasure that we would have bought had we the money to buy them and the space to keep them in our homes! I think my favourite was a candle type telephone made of brass that Kelle found. We spent a considerable amount of time trying to remember Lily Tomlin's character who was a switchboard operator (Ernestine!). Thank you Kellee for sending me the email this morning with the name! We had a very frou- frou lunch in the restaurant right on the premises!
What did I buy? Well, I bought three things. One was a french grape pickers basket made of wood (says something about my great grandfather Francesco who loved his wine and tried to grow grapes in his backyard in Brooklyn!) and the other a small victorian maid's box also made of wood. This appealed to me because my great great grandmother Lavinia was a domestic servant in the 19th century. The third thing I bought is a gift for Father's Day for someone I love, so I am not going to spill the beans on that one just yet!

No comments: