Thursday 15 February 2007

Valbirthday

I am lucky enough to be blessed with a terrific family and some very special friends. I don’t often forget that but the feeling always intensifies on my birthday. As my friends know and often tease me about is that I was born on February 13th but didn’t find that fact out until I applied for a passport when I was 16. My mother always celebrated my birthday on the 14th. The 13th is the day I was born on but the 14th is the day that I celebrate my birth! This year it is 42J – no more numbers just letters! Lorrie Stanton coined the term Valbirthday! Again this year she and Mike sent a very humorous e-card! Friends and family in the States called and sent cards - how nice it is to be remembered! Thanks Dad & Glenda, Donna, Steve, Aunt Fran, Mom & Dad, Holly, Dave, and Polli!

As we celebrate Chinese New Year this week, a group of fabulous women friends met for lunch in London’s Chinatown to celebrate my birthday. The lunch at Joy King Lau was superb and the conversation excellent! It was a treat to share a table with witty intelligent women of a certain age! We despaired over the candidates this US primary season, talked about health concerns, hot flashes and our lives as ex-pats in London. I couldn’t help but bathe in the self satisfaction of how wonderful my life is at the moment! If you havent met Carlene, Peggy, Kathy, Loretta and Anne you should! They are the best of women! They even bring gifts!

As for my family, my lovely daughters made the effort to make it home for a birthday dinner. Boy was that appreciated! I realize what busy lives they lead with loves and jobs of their own. We had a great dinner at La Casalinga on SJW High Street. The food is always top notch and the staff are some of my favorite people in all of London. It was the place to be on this special night! La Casalinga is a family run business and you are always made to feel part of their family. I like that! The restaurant was beautifully decorated for Valentine’s Day with balloons! We ate well, sang, recited dialogue, laughed a lot and of course ended the evening with a piece of very yummy chocolate cake with a candle on top! The girls and I were each given a red rose as we reluctantly went home!
Woo Hoo, what a great day! Isn't that what everyone wants to say at the end of the day!

No comments: