Tuesday 13 February 2007

Coffee

The wonderful Anne C. is in town this week with her husband, John. They have been painfully missed by Jeff and I since they moved back to the States last year. We had a lovely dinner at the Mango Room on Sunday night followed by a hilarious search for a cab on a rainy Sunday night in Camden. Last night while, the husbands were out doing business things Anne and I ordered in Chinese food from Lee's. We spent the night eating too much and watching Paris When it Sizzles with William Holden and the fabulous Audrey Hepburn. In its time this movie didn't win any BAFTAS or Oscars but I thought it a wonderful campy 60't flick! The plot revolves around Richard Benson (Holden) who has two days to produce a movie script in a Paris apartment because he has spent the time and money he was paid to write the script living the high life. He makes several references to his drinking whiskey but you always see him drinking what appears to be vodka! He hires a temporary secretary, Gabrielle Simpson (Hepburn), to help him complete it in time and farce and romance in sue! Tony Curtis is very funny in his supporting actor method actor role.

This morning it is a reunion of friends at Peggy H's. flat. Anne and another friend visiting from NYC are the guest of honours. Tonight Anne, Kathy and I are off to see Avenue Q at the Noel Coward Theatre. Looking forward to it!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I didn't ask, what did you think of Avenue Q? Was it as rude as I have heard? Going to the theatre is always a special occasion, no matter what the content. Whenever I think of London I always think of all the wonderful sites but also the spectacular theatres. I know a lot of people complain of how American actors come over here to do a play and attempt to build some credibility as a serious thespian but it just adds to the fun. Rob Lowe on stage would have been interesting to see. I've seen Ian Mckellan dance and sing. I saw Ralph Fiennes doing Ibsen. There have been the good bits and the weird and then the very bad (Macbeth a few years ago in a Salvador Dali sort of way) but I am always looking forward to whats new and whats different.