Sunday 18 February 2007

77 Million Luminous Paintings


Jeff and I went to the department store Selfridges on Oxford St. yesterday to see Brian Eno’s installation of Luminous 77 Million Paintings. Luminous is Brian Eno’s installation of paintings using multiple monitors to display a constantly changing painting. Jeff, a long time fan of the music of Roxy Music, King Crimson, Genesis and any mutation of Fripp and Eno was pleased to attend! On my part, going may have been a little pay back for all those fru fru English houses I have dragged him through over the years. This was not the only time I paid him back though, we once flew to Berlin overnight for a Crimson concert and I swear I was the only female in the hall!

On the ground floor of Selfridges we entered through black drapes into a black room to sit on wide low black couches (which are never comfortable for people with short legs!) and I was immediately struck not with sound and images but the other people in the room. I wondered how long the dads with baby carriages would last in the room. Were they just trying to escape while the wife shopped? How many of these people are familiar with Music for Airports or Another Green World? You could tell that some of them just didnt get it by how quickly they left or by the conversations they were having amongst themselves. As I settled in and focused my attention on the art I was drawn to the 30 monitors arranged into four major grouping each group a different size and layout. It was hard to concentrate on them all at once, especially the small ones at the ends of the display wall. My favorite group looked like a windmill and I was consistently thinking about how some of the images would look as mosaics! The colours and patterns were fantastic! Eno, being the master of ambient sound matched the music perfectly to the images! As I tried to get comfortable on the couch and fought like hell not to slide off as I sunk deeper and deeper into a comatose state of relaxation, I thought this could be playing in my deprivation tank and I would enjoy it very much! It must be impossible to watch all image possibilities in one day but we were happy to spend a few hours watching the pictures appear and disappear. Since we were not on drugs or drunk - it was time to go before we were tempted! I may not have always liked Eno’s music but could always appreciate his willingness and talent to explore new sights and sounds! I am glad he shared his visions with us! The catalogue was a rip-off at £7.70 and there didnt seem to be anyone around to anwer questions or pay for this limited edition catalogue. Not helpful! This free exhibition is on until 11 March at Selfridges.

No comments: