Monday 29 October 2007

Joan and the Lake


While visiting with his parents in Buffalo this past September, Jeff and I had the opportunity to go to the theatre in the postcard pretty town of Niagara on the Lake, Canada. It is about an hours drive from Buffalo. Felt funny having to bring your passport to get into Canada but these are different times. On a lovely September evening we attended The Shaw Festival production of Saint Joan. Light hearted fare it was not but very very well done. I really enjoyed it and what a great theatre!

Prior to curtain up we walked around NOTL a bit (Niagara On The Lake- to those in the know!) and then had an interesting do- it- yourself dinner at The Tetley. We each ordered a selection of meats to cook on individual hot polished stones. The raw meats were then brought to our table with a selection of dipping sauces which we cooked ourselves on our little stones, (with potatoes and veggies that we didn’t have to thankfully also cook). I am normally not a fan of meals where I have to do the work (I like my clams out of the shells on my pasta, thank you very much!) but this was fun and felt vaguely healthy. We skipped the fondue dessert. I guess we were exhausted by then! It was definitely a different type of meal. Still we didn't have to do the dishes! It was then onto the theatre.....

Saint Joan, was written in 1923, by George Bernard Shaw shortly after the Roman Catholic Church canonized Joan of Arc. The play is based on what is known of her life and is the personification of the tragic heroine. A very tough part to play and many have failed. Succeed with this one and you can call your self a real actress. Tara Rosling as Joan did a fine job with the role and I think Jeff managed to stay awake most of the time. Poor guy, he has to sleep when he can! I won't even mention the passport mix up story.....

No comments: