Saturday 19 May 2007

New Convent Garden Market

Holly and I had an early wake up call this morning to visit the New Convent Garden Market in south west London. The market opened in Nine Elms between Vauxhall and Battersea in 1974 and had previously been located at Convent Garden (hence the name!) in central London. The market's nickname as 'London's Larder' is because of its importance as a wholesale food and flower market. There are over 250 traders located here. Me? I go just for the flowers! The colours and the smells just make me go wild. I always buy too much and struggle when I get home to find enough vases! The market opened at 3:00 a.m. and by the time we got there at 7 a.m. most of the market was already closing down. My purpose this morning was to get a flat of red geraniums for my annual planting of the garden pots. Believe it or not there wasn’t a geranium left in the place for sale! I did buy some lovely dahlias, peonies, iris and tulips instead!

No comments: