Wednesday 9 May 2007

Cousin Bruce

OK, talk about memory lane! I got an IM from my cousin Bruce about the band he is currently playing with (see links!) on Long Island. Yes, he is older than me and still playing in a rock and roll band! You just gotta respect that! Bruce and I go way back musically. I can’t remember who turned on who to Iron Butterfly back in the sixties but he played it constantly in his room – must have driven my Aunt Rona nuts! Just thinking about it brings In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida pounding into my head (and I hope it leaves soon!) One of my favourite sixties stories is about going to the Fillmore East in NYC to see Iron Butterfly live. It was just so cool! It is so amazing to me now that they let a 15 year old in in the first place! But hey it was the late sixties and I was blonde at the time! The Fillmore East the eastern twin to the Fillmore West in San Francisco didn’t last long, (it was only open for a 3 years as I discovered on the Fillmore East Preservation Society website!- you just knew there had to be one!). What times my friends and I had there! I think this where the term It rocked started! The music and the bands were unbelievable. Some are still around and others have sadly faded into obscurity (or maybe playing the Holiday Inn circuit in the Midwest!). I won’t bore you with details (and I don’t think I want the kids to know!) of the shows I saw there. What I am trying desperately to remember is if Bruce and I went the Fillmore together to see Iron Butterfly. I remember a lighted Butterfly cape but that is about it……….. but good for him for rockin on………………

No comments: