Sunday 13 May 2007

“All women become like their mothers.....

“All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.” - Oscar Wilde. Motherhood is such a powerful and moving force in the universe. Such an incredible experience, so many pictures painted and lines written about it. And yes, I don’t think men get it. How could they? Oscar Wilde’s quote reminds me of my own inner battles not to become like my mother. Time and time again I hear my mother’s words tumbling uncontrollably out of my mouth. Horror! I can’t believe I just said that? Oh my god, I have become just like her! The realization always strikes a note of irony and regret in me. I am sure my lovely daughters have said to themselves many times, when I am a mother; I will never say that to my children! Good Luck with that Carrie & Beth! Though, if they choose to become mothers, I hope they will often quote me on one line to their children. I LOVE YOU! You can’t say that enough and it isn’t too awful!

No comments: