Wednesday 4 July 2007

Life is Good in Tuscany!



If you were wondering what happened to my blog last week, well, I was on holiday! Jeff and I had a wonderful few days in Tuscany with the Odesses and Phippens.

On Wednesday after a stressful trip to the airport we flew to Pisa and then onto Castello del Nero in the Chianti hillside town of Tavarnelle Val di Pesa. The hotel had spectacular views over the valley and we had a great room.

Very early (and I mean early!) Thursday morning we had a hot air balloon ride. A terrifying first for me! I wasn’t sure that I could do this as I watched the crew inflate the balloon. Polli was the one who inspired me to take the chance. After a short and windless trip we landed in a vineyard! I have to admit it was so very beautiful and yes, I gripped the sides of the basket the whole time! Our pilot Stefano invited us back to his home for an al fresco breakfast. I celebrated my survival with a glass or two (or maybe more) of champagne and then spent the rest of the day recovering in the sun with more wine! Our evening meal was in the beautiful town of San Donato (via an outrageous taxi ride) in a restaurant called La Toppa. We ate outside basking in the warmth of quintessential tuscany. It was a wonderful family style meal of pasta, beans and meat. Dessert was gelato purchased in the town square. I think a nameless member of our group had two servings!

On Friday our group was divided for some special activities. The ladies went to the spa while the men went to a wine and chocolate tasting. The spa at the hotel was terrific. It has one of the best whirlpool/spa tubs I have ever had the pleasure to be in! I was forced out because of a scheduled massage with Diego! Heaven absolute heaven! Later, the husbands rejoined us for an olive oil tasting in the hotel wine cellar. Late in the afternoon while the men went to the spa Holly, Polli and I attended a cooking class in the kitchen with the new head chef, Stefano. We made fresh pasta together (what else would you expect?). I did actually learn a few things - like how to add basil to fresh dough without turning it all green (briefly fry it!). The kitchen was equipped with a very impressive electric pasta maker – boy did that beat all that hand cranking of my grandmothers machine! I want one of the electric ones!

Saturday saw us on a visit to the Fontodi winery in Panzano. After the obligatory wine tasting, we stopped in one of my favourite towns – Greve in Chianti (last time we visited the town we had the best mozzarella we have ever tasted!). Greve is the hometown of the explorer Giovanni Verrazano of bridge fame! It was a busy market day and his statue was obscured by the stalls. Polli and I had fun shopping for ceramica and bought a thing or two. Lunch was in a restaurant perched on the side of a hill in a village I never did get the name of. The grilled meats were fantastic and someone stole a wine glass! We returned to the hotel unable to do anything else but lie in the sun and drink wine for the rest of the day!

We returned to London on Sunday tanned, rested, well fed and carrying a few bottles of wine! I have been on the tread mill every day since!

No comments: