Saturday 23 August 2008

Moran's Oyster Cottage

It is amazing how much advice you get when you travel to Ireland. There were no end of friends and acquaintances recommending hotels, restaurants and pubs. Now, Jeff and I are not so foolish that we ignored the recommendations we got.

Apparently, County Galway is the place for oysters (yeah, you would think being on the Atlantic coast?) and about 10 miles south of Galway City is Moran’s Oyster Cottage a 200-year-old thatched cottage set on the Kilcolgan River. Moran’s holds an annual oyster festival and has a reputation as the place to go for the best oysters in Ireland. The place is stuffed with celebrity photos (Pierce Brosnan included!) Oysters reign supreme here!

Not caring for oysters myself, I really didn’t care but Jeff did! So off to The Weir in Kilcolgan did we go! Moran’s lived up to its reputation and I haven’t seen Jeff looking so self-satisfied since the last time he was at Sharky’s eating grouper! I had the soup and a nice crab sandwich! Yes, if you go to County Galway, take my advice and find Moran’s!

No comments: